Tonight, Nikki and Elvis came over to cook and eat with us. Nikki and I made LASAGNA! (Oh, Garfield would loooove us.) This cooking party meant that I needed to go shopping for deliciousness. And I got the cute grocer again. Tall, blond, ridiculously skinny, nose ring.
ScrawnyGrocer: Pasta night?
Henna: Oh yea, making some lasagna...
ScrawnyGrocer: Nice! I love lasagna.
*insert other pleasantries here*
I've never had to tell this guy that I live nearby and therefore am a member and get member sales, he just inputs them automatically. I love saving money.
But the lasagna was delicious... so filling and yummy.
Nikki's Homemade Lasagna
- 1/2 box lasagna noodles
- 2 lbs. ground beef chuck
- 2 jars marinara sauce (Newman's Own Cabernet Marinara works quite well)
- 30 oz. ricotta cheese (don't go for the skim stuff, that has no flavor)
- 2 eggs
- Red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Papper (to taste)
- Basil (to taste)
- 1/2 parsley bunch
- 1 bag of italian cheese mix (mozarella, parmesan, gouda)
- An open bottle of wine for the meat
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the lasagna noodles for approximately 9 minutes.
- Drain the noodles.
- Throw the beef into a pan on high heat, breaking it into pieces and stir them around.
- Put salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and basil into the beef, continuing to stir.
- Drain juices from the beef when browned and pour in some wine.
- Turn the burner to low heat and mix in the marinara sauce.
- Scoop the ricotta cheese into a bowl and crack both eggs into it, stirring until smooth.
- Throw most of the parsley into the ricotta mix, leaving a little out to season the finished lasagna.
- Put some salt and pepper into the ricotta, stirring until completely blended.
Assemble the lasagna as follows:
- One layer of noodles
- Layer of ricotta
- Layer of meat sauce
- Layer of cheese
When you are finished, there should be about three layers. Sprinkle the rest of the parsley on top and cover with foil. Put in the 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes with the foil on top. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another ten minutes.